I am sending to this to all areas as general crime prevention information. Please forward as appropriate.
The police have informed me of a number of shed and garage breaks in the Iffley and Littlemore areas. Please could you make your neighbourhood watch members aware so they can be vigilant, in case incidents start heading in our direction.
Home security advice specific to gardens, garages and sheds includes:
Fit a strong, lockable, high gate across the passageway to stop a thief getting to the back of your home where they can work without being disturbed.
· Check for weak spots where a burglar could get into your garden, for example a low or sagging fence, or a back gate with a weak lock.
· Never leave a garage or garden shed unlocked, especially if it has a connecting door to the house. A burglar could get in and work on the door inside without being seen.
· Fit strong padlocks to shed and garage doors and make sure that doors are solid enough not to be kicked into.
· Lock ladders inside your garage or shed to stop a burglar using them to reach upstairs windows. If there is no room in your garage of shed, chain or padlock them horizontally to a sturdy bracket on an outside wall.
· Consider having lockable steel boxes fitted to the floor to store your tools in, or anchor posts fitted to the floor to secure larger tools and equipment.
· Burglars do not like gravel; its noisy to walk on.
· Lock bicycles together and/or to a fixed point in the garage or shed to make it more difficult to take quickly.
· Consider investing in a motion sensor light for your garden.
Vigilance could prevent you becoming a victim.
Clearly this is not meant to scare your members, just provide advice so they can stay safe and keep their belongings safe.