Thames Valley Police in Milton Keynes has started its three-month winter burglary operation to combat burglaries in homes and target offenders during the darker winter months.
Operation Darknight has been run four times in recent years in Milton Keynes and has helped to significantly reduce the numbers of homes that have been burgled over the winter period.
Residents are advised that, now the clocks have gone back, it is now an important time to check that your home is not vulnerable to burglary.
Please click the Crime prevention advice links below, in order to prevent your home being a potential target for burglars.
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/home-garden-security and watch our ‘Here’s a bright idea’ video (opens new window)
Set up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your area
Would you like to bring your community closer together, or do you have concerns about burglary, antisocial behaviour or the general environment in your street?
Through Neighbourhood Watch you can help the Police and your neighbours to strengthen your community. You can make your area a better place to live. The scheme is free to join!
Aims of Neighbourhood Watch
· To reduce opportunities for crime and make it more difficult for criminals to act
· To build community spirit so that neighbours can work together for everybody’s benefit – to reduce the fear of crime.
· To report suspicious incidents in your neighbourhood to the Police and know how to report them
· To look at improving the neighbourhood, (fixing street lighting, potholes, overgrown bushes etc.)
· NHW signage and stickers act as a deterrent
· Receipt of Thames Valley Alert messages informing you about burglaries and crime trends taking place in your area. These messages can also include Witness Appeals, information about/from our policing teams and Thames Valley Police press releases
· Most insurers offer a discount if you are a member of a NHW scheme
· Crime reduction and policing information given at the setup meeting including leaflets
· Each Scheme has a coordinator who acts as key contact for the scheme & liaises with the Police and other members of the scheme.
Consider setting up a NHW Scheme in your area, for more information email MK.Community.WatchCoordinator@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk
For more information about NHW have a look at Milton Keynes Neighbourhood Watch Association on the following link http://www.mknhwa.org.uk/
The National Neighbourhood Watch website at http://www.ourwatch.org.uk/
Residents in Milton Keynes can obtain localised information by following the Milton Keynes Twitter account @TVP_MK and looking out for #Op_Darknight.
Alternatively if you have information but wish to remain anonymous, please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online @ crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you will not go to court.
Police Community Support Officer and Acting Watch Coordinator Milton Keynes