Over the last few weeks there has been a sharp rise in burglaries in our area. The most recent being Witney, Carterton & Chipping Norton although there have been a number of similar incidents in Banbury, Bicester & Kidlington.
Offenders appear to be gaining access via the rear of properties either unlocked doors, forcing entry by levering windows/doors or smashing glass and stealing cash and jewellery.
One burglar has been recently arrested and appeared in court but offences would appear to be continuing.
We are increasing our patrols but would welcome any information related to these recent burglaries. Your information could be the one piece of the jigsaw that is needed to apprehend these individuals.
Things to watch out for are
- Any suspicious activity including door to door sales/purchasing.
- Individuals offering to do groundwork, building or general outside maintenance of your property. .
- Strange vehicles in your area.
Protect your property
- Keep a light on even when you’re not at home. A lamp on a timer switch is a great deterrent
- Keep doors and windows locked.
- Don’t leave car keys and other valuables on display
- Install an outside light and if you already have one check that its working
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or lockable draw.
Increased vigilance can prevent further offences and play a major part in an investigation should an incident occur.
Please report any suspicious activity to police on 999,101 or online https://reportonline.thamesvalley.police.uk/
If you have information but would like to remain anonymous then you can report to Crime stoppers https://crimestoppers-uk.org/
We welcome your support and information.