Are you interested in investigating complex crime? Do you have a naturally inquisitive mind and good research skills? Have you considered becoming a detective constable?
Thames Valley Police is open for Specialist Entry Detective recruitment with a closing date for completed application forms of Friday 25 August 2017.
We are looking for people who are resilient, confident decision-makers to join Thames Valley Police as detective constables. You will be working as part of a professional team carrying out a wide variety of crime investigations including serious and complex cases, cyber-crime and crimes against vulnerable people.
The Specialist Entry Detective Programme will see you initially join as a uniformed student police officer where you will gain experience of both investigation and response work during your first year. During the second year you will work as a temporary detective constable and be required to pass all necessary assessments including the National Investigators Exam (NIE) before being confirmed in post as a detective constable.
Step 1: Book your eligibility slot
To be considered for this exciting new career pathway you will need to attend an eligibility event. These are informal and informative sessions for a couple of hours during a morning or afternoon during which we will check your documents and assess whether you are eligible to apply. These slots will be running at various locations and times as per the below:
- Thursday 03 August 2pm-4pm in Slough
- Thursday 03 August 5.30pm-7.30pm in Slough
- Tuesday 08 August 5.30pm-7.30pm in Reading
- Friday 11 August 10am-12pm in Sulhamstead
- Friday 11 August 2pm-4pm in Sulhamstead
- Saturday 12 August 10am-12pm in Sulhamstead
- Monday 14 August 2pm-4pm in Kidlington
- Saturday 19 August 10am-12pm in Kidlington
- Tuesday 22 August 2pm-4pm in Milton Keynes
- Tuesday 22 August 5.30pm-7.30pm in Milton Keynes
- full name
- highest qualification(s)
- confirmation that you have a full UK manual driving licence
- home postcode
- telephone number
- three dates/times that you are able to attend an event
Am I eligible to apply?
In order to apply you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be aged 18 years of age or older
- be either a British Citizen or be residing in the UK free of restrictions
- have a full manual British driving licence
- have two A Levels graded A-E (pass), the equivalent or higher
- have obtained a Certificate in Knowledge of Policing (CKP) or be willing to achieve this by 27 November 2017
- live within 20 crow miles of two of our main police stations at the point of provisional offer of appointment. Applicants are reminded that a degree of flexibility is required on postings to meet the needs of the business
What do we offer? (correct as of 31 July 2017)
- on successfully completing all aspects of the recruitment process your starting salary will be £22,896 (plus £2,000 South East allowance)
- annual leave of 22 days per year increasing with length of service
- training and development opportunities throughout your career with potential to move into other specialist departments and/or apply for promotion
- access to a range of services and support networks – Police Federation, Police Mutual, Central Sports & Social Club, LGBT Association, SAME (Support Association for Minority Ethnic staff), Women’s Network and others
As the policing landscape continues to increase in complexity, it is imperative that we are able to attract the best talent into our ranks. This new entry route represents a fantastic opportunity for talented and skilled individuals to join the police force as part of a specialist unit.
If you think you have what it takes, book your eligibility slot today and begin the journey to a new and challenging career!